The White House is not just getting a new team, but a whole new language.
Here's hoping that you all get dubbed w/ a nickname by Dubya. In the
below is an aide memoire to help Gov't--and former Gov't--workers
with the new regime.
1. The engine's runnin' but ain't nobody driving.
= Not overly intelligent.
2. As welcome as a skunk at a lawn party.
3. Tighter than bark on a tree.
= Not very generous.
4. Big hat, no cattle.
= All talk and no action.
5. We've howdied but we ain't shook yet.
= We've made a brief acquaintance, but not been formally introduced.
6. He thinks the sun come up just to hear him crow.
= He has a pretty high opinion of himself.
7. She's got tongue enough for 10 rows of teeth.
= That woman can talk.
8. It's so dry the trees are bribin' the dogs.
= We really could use a little rain around here.
9. Just because a chicken has wings doesn't mean it can fly.
=Appearances can be deceptive.
10. This isn't my first rodeo.
= I've been around awhile.
11. He looks like the dog's been keepin' him under the porch .
= Not the most handsome of men.
12. They ate supper before they said grace.
= Living in sin.
13. Time to paint your butt white and run with the antelope.
= Stop arguing and do as you're told.
14. As full of wind as a corn-eating horse.
= Rather prone to boasting.
15. You can put your boots in the oven, but that doesn't make them
= You can say whatever you want about something, but that doesn't change
what it is.
(-Back to home page-)