THE CLASS OF 2004
Just in case you weren't feeling too old today, this will certainly change things. Each year the staff at Beloit College in Wisconsin puts together a list to try to give the Faculty a sense of the mindset of this year's incoming freshman.
Here is this year's list: (The people who are starting college this fall across the nation were born in 1982.)
- - They have no meaningful recollection of the Reagan Era and probably did not know he had ever been shot.
- - They were prepubescent when the Persian Gulf War was waged.
- - Black Monday, 1987 is as significant to them as the Great Depression.
- - There has been only one Pope.
- - They were 11 when the Soviet Union broke apart and do not remember the Cold War.
- - They have never feared a nuclear war.
- - They are too young to remember the space shuttle blowing up.
- - Tianamen Square means nothing to them.
- - Bottle caps have always been screw off and plastic.
- - Atari predates them, as do vinyl albums.
- - The expression "You sound like a broken record" means nothing to them.
- - They have never owned a record player.
- - They have likely never played Pac Man and have never heard of Pong.
- - They may have never heard of an 8 track.˙ The Compact Disc was introduced when they were 1 year old.
- - As far as they know, stamps have always cost about 33 cents.
- - They have always had an answering machine.
- - Most have never seen a TV set with only 13 channels, nor have they seen a black and white TV.
- - They have always had cable.
- - There have always been VCRs, but they have no idea what BETA was.
- - They cannot fathom not having a remote control.
- - They don't know what a cloth baby diaper is, or know about the "Help me, I've fallen and I can't get up" commercial.
- Feeling old Yet? There's more:
- - They were born the year that Walkmen were introduced by Sony.
- - Roller skating has always meant inline for them.
- - Jay Leno has always been on the Tonight Show.
- - They have no idea when or why Jordache jeans were cool.
- - Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave.
- - They have never seen Larry Bird play.
- - They never took a swim and thought about Jaws.
- - The Vietnam War is as ancient history to them as WWI, WWII and the Civil War.
- ˙ ˙˙ They have no idea that Americans were ever held hostage in Iran.
- - They can't imagine what hard contact lenses are.
- - They don't know who Mork was or where he was from.
- - They˙ never heard: "Where's the beef?", "I'd walk a mile for a Camel," or "De plane, de plane!".
- - They do not care who shot J.R. and have no idea who J.R. was.
- - The Titanic was found? They thought we always knew.
- - Michael Jackson has always been white.
- - Kansas, Chicago, Boston, America, and Alabama are places, not rock bands.
- - McDonalds never came in styrofoam containers.
- - There has always been MTV.
- - They don't have a clue how to use a typewriter.
- - Do you feel old yet?
(-Back to home page-)