We all have seen or heard these before but it brings a smile to review them once again. If you are reading this e-mail than you must have kept them in mind in your earlier years! Enjoy!
- No matter what else happens, fly the airplane. Forget all that stuff about thrust and drag, lift and gravity.
- It's better to be down here wishing you were up there, than up there wishing you were down here.
- If you're ever faced with a forced landing at night, turn on the landing lights to see the landing area. If you don't like what you see, turn' em back off.
- A check ride ought to be like a skirt, short enough to be interesting but still be long enough to cover everything.
- Speed is life, altitude is life insurance. No one has ever collided with the sky!
- Always remember you fly an airplane with your head, not your hands.
- Never let an airplane take you somewhere your brain didn't get to five minutes earlier.
- "Unskilled" pilots are always found in the wreckage with their hand around the microphone.
- If you push the stick forward, the houses get bigger; if you pull the stick back, they get smaller. (Unless you keep pulling the stick back-then they get bigger again.)
- Hovering is for pilots who love to fly but have no place to go.
- The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
- Flying is the second greatest thrill known to man. Landing is the first!
- Everyone already knows the definition of a 'good' landing is one from which you can walk away. But very few know the definition of a 'great' landing. It's one after which you can use the airplane another time.
- The probability of survival is equal to the angle of arrival.
- IFR: I Follow Roads.
- A Marine knows he’s landed with the wheels up when it takes full power to taxi.
- Those who hoot with the owls by night should not fly with the eagles by day.
- A helicopter is a collection of rotating parts going round and round and reciprocating parts going up and down—all of them trying to become random in motion.
- Helicopters can't really fly—they're just so ugly that the earth immediately repels them.
- Pilots believe in clean living. They never drink from a dirty glass.
- Things which do you no good in aviation: Altitude above you. Runway behind you. Fuel in the truck. Half a second ago. Approach plates in the car. The airspeed you don't have.
- Flying is not dangerous; crashing is dangerous.
- A good simulator check ride is like successful surgery on a corpse.
- Asking what a pilot thinks about the FAA is like asking a tree what it thinks about dogs.
- An airplane may disappoint a good pilot, but it won't surprise him.
- Good judgment comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgment.
- There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
- It's best to keep the pointed end going forward as much as possible.
- Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwind.
- A thunderstorm is never as bad on the inside as it appears on the outside. It's worse.
- A pilot is a confused soul who talks about women when he's flying, and about flying when he's with a woman.
- The last thing an Air Force pilot does before leaving the aircraft after making a gear up landing is to put the gear selection lever in the 'down' position.
- Try to keep the number of your landings equal to the number of your takeoffs.
- Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.
- You cannot propel yourself forward by patting yourself on the back.
- Be wary when someone says, "Let me show you something"
- If an airplane crashes and doesn't catch fire it is usually out of gas.
- Flying at night improves your hearing, that explains night noises.
- Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.
- Keep looking around; there's always something you've missed.
- You can't rewrite the laws of aerodynamics.
- There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold, pilots!
- The propeller is just a big fan in the front of the plane to keep the pilot cool. Want proof? Make it stop; then watch the pilot break out into a sweat.
- Flying is the perfect vocation for a man who wants to feel like a boy, but not for one who still is.
- If something doesn't seem right it probably isn't.
- The difference between a fighter pilot and a pig? A pig doesn't sit at a bar until 0300 waiting to pick up a fighter pilot.
This page created and maintained by Dave Palmer
(-Back to home page-)